How to zip a folder in Ubuntu Linux
Let us see How to zip a folder in Ubuntu Linux. The zip is a compression and file packaging utility for Linux and Unix command. In this blog post we will learn to compress a folder on Ubuntu Linux using Linux terminal and using GUI utility.
How to zip a folder in Ubuntu Linux using terminal
Open the Linux terminal and type the following command:
$ sudo apt install zip unzip
This command will install zip and unzip utility to system.
The syntax of compression of folder into zip archive is as below.
zip -r sampe.zip sample
- sample is folder name
- sample.zip is the compressed file name.
- The switch -r , tells zip to recursively add all files and sub-folders to the zipped file.
How to unzip a zipped compressed file.
bosch@bosch-Inspiron-N5050:~/Desktop$ unzip sample.zip
Compress a folder on Ubuntu Linux using GUI utility
- Right click on the folder to zip.
- Select compress option, a dialog box would be open.
- Select zip and press ok on dialog box.