Linux kernel compilation
Linux kernel compilation tutorial step by step instruction
1) Go to kernel.org and download stable version.
2) After complete download , you will get linux-3.18.tar.xz file. This is a compressed source code of latest linux kernel.
3) UN-compressed with below command. You can also untar or UN-compressed by write click and extract utility on Ubuntu Linux.
gzip -cd linux-3.X.tar.gz | tar xvf -
Below is way of GUI mode
4) Go to the Linux source directory.
5) Make sure you have no stale .o files and dependencies lying around:
You should now have the sources correctly installed.
6) Before compilation we have to configure the kernel by running below command.
If you want to carry your existing configuration to a new version with minimal work, use “make oldconfig”, which will only ask you for the answers to new questions.
7) Compile the kernel by make command
8) compile the modules.
# make modules
9) Install the kernel
This last command will install new kernel. Note: Installing new linux kernel may make your system UN-stable. So install new kernel with proper guidelines from experts.